The Best Mattresses Available Right Now
Buying a mattress used to be relatively straightforward. You were limited to what your local furniture retailer carried, and choosing a model was as simple as trying out a few options on-site.
Mattress shopping today is much more complicated. Not only are there more designs and styles, but you can shop at online stores that will deliver a new bed right to your door, sight unseen. How do you choose from such a wide variety of models and companies, and which mattresses are the best available right now?
There are several factors to consider when purchasing a new mattress. Balancing every consideration isn’t necessary, but understanding what to look for can help you shop smarter.
- Price – No matter how highly rated a mattress is, buyers on a budget will be limited in their range of choices. It’s best to determine your price range before shopping, limiting your selections to the models that are affordable.
- Warranty – Most people keep their mattresses for a long time, so purchase a mattress with at least a ten-year warranty to cover defects.
- Return Policy – It’s difficult to know how a mattress will perform after a quick check in the showroom. If you get your mattress home and find that it doesn’t meet your needs, you will want the assurance that you can return or exchange it easily.
- Store Models – Many people don’t realize that different retailers have their own versions of top-selling models. If you find a mattress that you love at one store, don’t assume that the specs are identical at a competitor’s location.
Today’s manufacturer’s make a variety of mattress types, and there is a broad range of quality among each product category.
Innerspring mattresses are still very popular with buyers, making up the majority of mattresses sold. If you’re on a budget, innerspring models remain the most affordable options on the market. That doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice comfort; Steel coil mattresses are highly engineered, and many brands encase the springs in gel, memory foam, or a pillow top for the best sleeping experience. These beefed-up innerspring models are sometimes referred to as hybrids and are top choices in this category.
- Beautyrest BR800 Firm – Considered a budget model, this mattress retails for $599. As such, you get a lot of bang for your buck. The steel springs are encased in foam, with several additional layers on top. Buyers also appreciate the stay-cool cover that resists heat retention for a more refreshing night’s sleep.
- Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Line – There are several models in this line, ranging from the Essential Collection, which comes in at $1000, to the Premium Collection, which is $1999. Available at big-box retailers like Sears and JC Penney, these are very accessible models. Features include encased springs with a memory foam top in increasing thicknesses as you upgrade.
Latex mattresses are known for their durability. They are either made from latex sourced from rubber trees or from synthetic latex. Natural latex mattresses are more expensive than synthetic latex mattresses.
A latex mattress is a good choice for people who suffer from allergies because latex is resistant to mildew, mold, and dust mites. Latex mattresses also help to keep your spine aligned properly while you sleep. They also can help you to remain cool while you sleep. Mattresses that are made out of natural latex are also eco-friendly. Lower-priced models may provide less relief to your pressure points. If you suffer from pressure point pain, you might want to choose a more expensive latex mattress or opt for one that is made out of memory foam.
- Zenhaven – The Zenhaven latex mattress has a comfort layer that has five different zones of Talalay latex for added comfort and support. It has an outer layer of 100 percent organic wool that is flame-retardant. The cover is made of 100 percent organic cotton, and all the interior layers are made from Talalay latex. The mattress is 10 inches thick and is an excellent choice for people who want a greener mattress that also helps to reduce allergens. The Zenhaven mattress comes with a 120-day free trial, has a 20-year warranty, and costs $1,899 for a queen-sized mattress.
- Plush Beds Botanical Bliss – The Plush Beds Botanical Bliss mattress is nine inches thick and is made out of 100 percent natural organic latex. It has global organic latex standard and USDA certifications. The mattress offers more support than mattresses that are made from Talalay latex. You can try the mattress for 100 days, and it comes with a 25-year warranty. A queen mattress costs $1,499 with free shipping.
Buyers are consistently happy with quality memory foam mattresses, and this is a top-selling category. However, quality varies widely, and choosing a budget-conscious model could lead to disappointment. A mattress with lower density foam can fail to bounce back, retain heat and cause issues for people with back problems. Highly-rated options, however, get rave reviews among sensitive sleepers who need a lot of support.
- Amerisleep AS2 – Comprised of four different types of foam, this medium-firm mattress is highly supportive and has open-cell foam to draw heat away from the body. Considering its many features and the 20-year warranty, the $1299 price tag is a pleasant surprise.
- Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-breeze – A higher priced mattress at $3799, the five layers of foam combine to offer support, breathability, and comfort. This model gets consistently high reviews from buyers and you can try the mattress for a full 90 days to make sure it’s the perfect choice for you.
The newest players in the market, these mattresses are delivered to your home compressed in a small box. They may not be robust enough for picky sleepers, but they are excellent options for most. Keep in mind that you will need to provide the frame and box spring.
- Cocoon by Sealy – Despite its entry-level $849 price tag, the Cocoon has a lot of options. You can customize the firmness and upgrade the cover to cooling fabric. Like the Purple, you get a 100-night trial and complementary donation services if you decide it’s not for you.
- Nectar – Nectar is a mattress-in-a-box that is made of certified layers of foam, including a layer of quilted gel memory foam and a layer of gel memory foam. It has a thick layer of high-core memory foam and comes with a cooling cover to wick away moisture and heat. The king-sized mattress costs $899 and you can try it for free in your home for one year.
- Puffy – Puffy has been reviewed by Forbes, Ellen, and Consumer Reports. Users of this mattress rave that it feels like they are sleeping on a cloud. The mattress is made of multiple layers of foam, including a layer of cool cloud foam, a layer of body-adapting foam, a layer of climate comfort foam, and a thick layer of firm support foam. The queen-sized mattress costs $850 and you can try it for 101 days in your home.
- Purple – Priced at$1299, this social-media favorite has two layers of foam, with a top comprised of an elastic polymer. You can try the mattress for up to 100 nights, and the company will arrange for a donation if you choose to get a refund.
Air mattress appear similar to regular mattresses, but they do not have coil springs in their inner portion. Instead, air mattresses have a core that is filled with air. Some air mattresses contain multiple pockets for air while others have a single chamber that contains air. Air mattresses give people a feeling of weightlessness when they sleep on them, which can be comfortable for many people.
The air compartments in air mattresses are made from reinforced plastic or rubber that is covered by a layer of foam padding. People are able to fill the compartments with air using a pump to their desired level of firmness. This makes air mattresses very versatile since people can add or remove air by using simple controls. Sleeping on an air mattress can help to reduce pressure point pain because the pressure is instead distributed across your entire body.
- Sleep Number c2 – The Sleep Number c2 air mattress is designed with your comfort in mind. The mattress is eight inches tall and contains a two-inch gel infused layer for added comfort. There are separate controls on both sides of the bed, so people can adjust their own settings while sleeping with someone else. This allows two people to enjoy separate levels of firmness to their liking. The Sleep Number c2 mattress also tracks how people sleep, so they can understand whether they are sleeping restfully during the night by checking their sleep scores. This air mattress is a good choice for partners who prefer different levels of firmness. The Sleep Number c2 mattress costs $999 and comes with a 100-night in-home trial and a 25-year warranty.
- Personal Comfort A8 – The Personal Comfort A8 has dual controls so each person can adjust his or her side to his or her preferred level of firmness. It has air compartments that are covered by several layers of certified foam. The mattress is manufactured by an FDA-certified medical device manufacturer. The A8 bed is 13 inches high and you are able to use either the remote controls or your smartphone to find your sleep number. This air mattress costs $2,249 for a queen-sized bed. It comes with a 120-night in-home trial, a 25-year warranty, and free shipping.
There is a wide range of mattresses for any budget and all types of sleepers. If you keep in mind your priorities, you can find the best mattresses on the market that meet your needs.